Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Profiles in Design: Meet Kristina

Over the past few months, the design team at Laura U has grown by leaps and bounds. Because we have such a great design team with different design styles, and from such different backgrounds, it would be unfair not to have them involved in giving you a glimpse into our design world. Today, we start a new series: Profiles in Design: The Laura U Design Team. The first profile to be unveiled is our Senior Designer, Kristina!

Profiles in Design: Meet Kristina......!

Who are you and where are you from?:
I am the Senior Interior Designer at Laura U. I've been working in this industry since 2002, working in the Memphis area and in Chicago, prior to settling down in Houston.

Who shares your address (pets, child(ren), significant others)?:
I live with my amazing common-law husband slash fiance, Brad (aka B-Rad, or SugarBear). We are the proud parents of Ginger and Steve, both Chihuahua mixes, and three extremely overweight cats: Judy, Ramona and Annika. We had some hermit crabs for awhile, but our cats thought they were delicious.

Favorite restaurant:
We have so many fabulous restaurants in Houston, so it's tough to pick a favorite. Plus, the hubs is a major foodie (whatever that means), so we spend a lot of time eating out. We have sushi at Soma on Washington at least once a week. Tony Mandola's is a great spot for seafood and local celeb-spotting. I also love Mockingbird Bistro and Mark's for special occasions.

Outside the office, you can find me:
At a Flea Market. Going to concerts. Reading US Weekly. In my Arts-n-Crafts room, making pillows and jewelry.

Designer I'd like to meet:
Barbara Barry. What a classy lady. Actually, I have been a Babs Barry fan for a really long time. For starters, she really knows what she's doing RE: Interiors. Two, she was one of the first designers to branch out and start designing a line of EVERYTHING: including furniture, rugs, fabrics, lighting, tile, linens, dinnerware, etc., So, I have always looked up to her as a homegoods visionary. Plus, she always looks impeccable!!




Wish I had designed:
Coralie Bickford-Smith's line of hardback classics for Penguin Books, aka the Clothbound Series 1 & 2.


I can always watch:
Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It NEVER gets old or not funny. Spoiler alert, though: it is not for kids.

In the movie about my life, _______________ would play me because:
Chloe Sevigny, because she looks enough like me to be believable, plus she's a fabulous actress. I like her wack-a-doo style, which is comprised of mainly vintage clothing, and she's got that perfect mix of super-awkward, yet confident. Also, she tends to blurt out whatever comes to mind, appropriate or not, so we have that in common.

I own too many:
Cats.....does anyone want a cat?

Guilty pleasures:
I've started to let our housekeeper do the laundry. Although I feel like the laziest woman alive, you simply cannot beat coming home to a freshly folded stack of underpants.

If I wasn't a designer, I'd:
Spend a whole lot more time in my Craft room, and I'd probably start an animal rescue non-profit. I really, really love dogs.

My perfect day:
Late scrambled-egg breakfast with B-Rad before heading over to Fiori Spa for several hours poolside and mineral baths with my girlfriends. I come home later to watch Love, Actually and open up a giant box containing one of everything from the JCrew catalog.

....and that was your first Profiles in Design.....catch us next week, when we profile another fabulous face from the Laura U design team.....

No comments: