Monday, August 2, 2010

Profiles in Design: Meet Carrie!

Next in our Profiles in Design series is Carrie!!

Who are you, where are you from, etc.:
I was born and raised in Houston, Texas. I grew up in the Spring Branch bubble and then went away to college at LSU. This is where I found my creative side and my love of design! This is also where I found my love for the game! Geaux Tigers!!! After I graduated, I started working for Laura U in August of 2007…almost three years now! Wow time flies! Oh, and I am getting married in December to the nicest boy in the world! YAY!



Who shares your address (dogs, babies, significant others):
My fiancé (Alex) and I bought an old home in Spring Branch about two years ago. We live with our almost four year old adorable Maltese George…love him! He was the best gift that Alex ever gave me…well, besides the portable foot bath from CVS my freshman year of college! George likes long walks, lots of attention, and his best friend “snowman” that never leaves his side! Babies… Hhmmm - I dunno…maybe soon?


Favorite restaurant:
Oh gosh…let’s see! Well of course I never turn down a delicious Mexican meal and margarita. If I had to name a few I would say, Cyclone Anayas, El Tiempo, and Escalantes, which are all tied for first in the Mexican category! I also enjoy cute hole-in-the-wall restaurants where you can bring your own wine! My favorite BYOW is La Vista…but I do want to let you know there is a great new spot…Hollister Grill (at Hollister and Long Point). The location is a little “sketchy” but the food is absolutely to die for and the atmosphere is casual, perfect for two or just for a fun gathering of close friends!!!


Outside the office, you can find me:
At my second job…planning my wedding! No, I’m kidding but it seriously feels like a second job! I must thank my wedding planner…MY MOM! Without her, I am not quite sure nothing would get done! Or you can find me at home. I love hanging out at home and doing small DIY projects around the house! PS. you will see one of my latest home projects in my next blog…so stay tuned! I also enjoy walking with George (my dog…not my fiancé, he refuses to walk with me). I also love hanging out with my family and friends for any and all occasions!


(this vintage cake topper was found during a “round top” excursion…and, we’re using it for sure)


Designer I'd like to meet:
There are two…interior designer Kelly Wearstler…duh! - I think her designs are so unique and you just know it’s her in every room she touches. And in the fashion arena, it would be Diane Von Furstenburg. I love her use of shapes on traditional styles. Both their styles are very similar to mine. They both use bold colors with an edgy twist on classic designs! They each use many different patterns and textures in one room/outfit! Most often, you think that multiple patterns wouldn’t work… somehow these ladies mix it up and create a story with their designs! I just LOVE them!


Wish I had designed:
Any of the beautiful lines for Restoration Hardware so that I could get them for free. Right now this is the style you will find in my home!

 
Mine was done on a budget…a very small one!!! Check out my DIY play on the RH books…please don’t laugh!



I can always watch:
This is easy…90210 re-runs on the soap network of course! This is how I would love to spend every Saturday morning…but sometimes it’s not the best idea to sit in your PJ’s all day! My favorites are the episodes after their high school years! Oh, and when that is not on I am tuned in to Fox News for all the latest fair and balanced news! Check them out!

http://www.foxnews.com/

Side Note…one of the things that drives my fiancé the craziest about me is the fact that I would rather watch a movie I have seen before than one that I have never seen. I think it could possibly be because I like to know how it is going to end…what does that say about me?


In the movie about my life, _______________ would play me because:
Kimberley Williams from Father of the Bride…for the obvious reason that I am getting married, but more so because my dad is such a George Banks!!! My dad would definitely wear his old “tuxodo”! And this is probably one of my all-time faves that I can watch over and over again…haha my fiancé hates that I can recite every word!



I own WAY too many:
CLOTHES…I have a problem. Maybe you have heard of it…shopaholic! We have 4 closets in our house and 3 of them are full of my things. Oops.



Guilty pleasures:
Hhhmmmmm…anything with cheese. I love, love, love, chips and “queso” anytime and anywhere, it’s probably my most favorite meal. We used to have a cheese day at work that was once a month! And then I could always go for a bag of sour jelly beans! - Yummy!!

If I wasn't a designer, I'd:
A storm chaser for sure…I think my obsession with the weather comes from living in Louisiana with all the hurricane threats. I love the drama of a big storm! IKE was the most exciting night ever…quite scary too! Ask me at any time during the day and I know what is going on with the weather! Like today for example…check out the huge storm heading right for us!



I also think that I could have a successful career as a detective!!! I LOVE crime shows…Law and Order, CSI, criminal minds…my fave! I have also been known to catch shop lifters! Beware!

My perfect day:
Would be waking up early and going on a long walk around the neighborhood with George, and then going home to a big cup of coffee and breakfast with my fiancé and 90210 playing in the background. Getting some things done around the house and then heading to my parents’ house for grill time and family time. Best day ever!



My family and me in the Cayman Islands last Christmas.....
my future husband is on the end next to me!

That's it for this episode of Design Profile: Stay tuned when we unveil another designer profile!

2 comments:

Brandi Monteverde said...

Love your post!! You wrapped yourself up in a
nutshell! I will keep reading;)

Unknown said...

Awww, cool! It's really interesting to see the "other side" of designers! Just came over from Life Sunnyside Down, happy to be your newest follower! XO!